Black mold symptoms in humans can be numerous and vary greatly among individuals.
Part of the problem is that symptoms of mold exposure can be confused with colds, flu, and pollen allergies.
However, colds and flu pass and so do regular pollen allergy symptoms.
When these disorders persist it is quite likely there are other factors at work.
Likewise, the severity of these symptoms can vary. Those most likely to suffer from severe mold exposure symptoms are people with compromised immune systems, those with asthma or allergies, or other pre-existing respiratory problems.
Young children and the elderly also tend to have more severe reactions to mold.
But even otherwise healthy people can become sick from toxic mold and exhibit mold symptoms.
In short, anyone living in a mold-infested house will get sick eventually.
The type of mold, the amount of time exposed and the amount that is airborne are all factors, but eventually, the mold will have its way with you.
What Are The Most Common Black Mold Symptoms In Humans?
Since mold is primarily breathed in, many of the most noticeable black mold symptoms in humans are in the respiratory system.
But mold can also attack the eyes and the skin. In general mold exposure can cause an increase in asthma attacks, shortness of breath, lung irritation, and wheezing.
Mold toxins also can affect the nervous system and the way the brain works.
Common Symptoms Of Black Mold Exposure
- Sinus problems including sneezing and runny nose
- Dry, itching, or burning eyes
- Memory loss
- Low-grade fever
- Skin rashes or hives
- Suppressed immune system
- Nausea or digestive problems
Are Black Mold Symptoms In Humans A Cause For Concern?
Black mold, scientifically known as Stachybotrys chartarum is widely known due to media coverage.
It is one of the most harmful and toxic household molds, so much so, that the US Army used it to make biological weapons.
That fact alone should dispel any naysayers who think the risks of exposure to black mold are just media hype.
Black Mold Symptoms In Humans
- Flu and cold-like symptoms
- Sore Throat
Black mold has been known to cause or has been linked to all of the following:
- Chronic sinusitis or rhinitis
- Frequent respiratory infections
- Allergic rhinitis and asthma
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis
- Hemorrhagic pneumonia in infants
- Chronic obstructive lung disease
As dangerous as black mold exposure can be to humans black mold removal must be done with great caution.
However, it is not the only household mold that is toxic and can cause mold symptoms.
Some people mistakenly think if they don’t have black mold, then what they are seeing isn’t dangerous.
But mold symptoms can be caused by many other types of mold. There is no safe mold when it is growing in your home.
The CDC says all mold growing indoors should be treated as a potential health risk and removed.
Black Mold Symptoms – Final Thoughts
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms of mold exposure listed above it would be wise to do a home mold inspection and look for signs of mold.
Mold can be obvious like a leak behind a washing machine, water heater, or under a sink or it can be hidden behind drywall or wallpaper.
If your house has a musty or earthy smell there is a 90% chance you have a mold problem somewhere in your home.
You will need to find it, correct the moisture situation that is causing it and then remove it.
Unless and until you do your mold symptoms are only likely to get worse.
It should also be noted that although we are primarily concerned with black mold symptoms in humans, black mold can also adversely affect the health of your pets too.
Black Mold Symptoms In Humans Final Thoughts
In conclusion, black mold exposure is a serious health hazard that should not be ignored.
If you suspect you have a mold problem in your home, it is important to take action to remove it and correct the moisture issue that is causing it.
Ignoring mold exposure can lead to serious health problems, including respiratory problems, headaches, dizziness, fatigue, depression, memory loss, low-grade fever, skin rashes or hives, suppressed immune system, and nausea or digestive problems.
If you suspect black mold exposure is making you sick, it is important to seek medical attention and get rid of the mold as soon as possible.